Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The biggest challenge: time

I can't believe I've been here for a week...It seems so little and yet so much for me..time seems to play tricks on me just like it did during IC...because everything is very intense.

Warning:
the next things should be excused on account of my freshness here :)
With 358 events in just one week: "Fresher's week", Nottingham Trent officially has the biggest welcome week for fresh students. What are the events? Fairs for jobs, volunteer opportunities, life style; concerts; city tours; sports and foreign languages tasters for free; skating, laser arena, trips outside town, trips to Ikea, unorthodox trips inside Notts (like a ghost walk by night at the castle and caves); movies, quizzez, markets just for studentsetc.

I am incredibly impressed with my university and with the british education system. You can see the years of experince they have in education:
- they can surely market their university: I attended one of the most efficient and fun academic year openings, where they told us in short all we needed to know about the city, the benefits of studying there and all the volunteering work we can do;
- they have incredible student services: library open almost all the time, on-line resources, career center, student advice center for almost any problem, AND sports facilities for around 40 sports and foreign languages you can take up for free. We even have access to the doctor for free and the firemen and police are coming to our house to make sure all is safe. The police even have this thing called "Smart water" which they put on your door in order to record somehow any fingerprints left there.
- you can see that
volunteering has tradition by the way the students get involved and recruit you in their organizations: I saw at least 30 opportunities to get involved in at the Volunteer fair, from Green Peace to raising money for charity.

I feel like I can truely live a healthy student life here and strech my wings kind of- in the sense that if I can ballance time in: school, job, sports, reading and having fun I will be a fulfilled student in every way.


Things I did
starting Monday:
- apply to a lot of jobs- to support myself: I will need at least 20 pounds/week for food only...
- went to recruitment/lifestyle/volunteer fairs and a market;
- went to the AIESEC in Nottingham Big Picture: they keep calling me an alumnus...which I am not! The big picture was short...about 20 minutes speeches and the rest filling in application forms. There will be one tomorrow too. Efficinecy..

- had a cool talk and dinner/movie with Adi Boruz (AIESEC Tm Alumnus) and friends;
- had a spanish class (I'm thinking of joining Spanish and German this year if I can) and an aerobics class
- I went to the movies and in a very sad pub (someone said to me that she loves Notts till 7 pm- that's when they all turn drunk and loud). The girls here...you should see them :)...the have the shortest skirts and go out at night in a T-shirt when it's only 12 degrees outside or less. Today I found out why: if you are going to a club and want to leave your jacket there it costs over one pound!!!


Next for me
: Besides a lot of fun I will tell you about in the next days:
Short term:
NAWAF IS COMING over tomorrow :) for a few hours :) He was one of the guys I organized IC in Poland with! :)
Long term:
I got invitations to visit Sheffield- where Nawaf is (CC at IC); London (Mrs. Shirley, a friend of my mom's) and Liverpool (where Claire is- a CEEDer that came to AIESEC Timisoara over a summer). I feel exhausted :) Don't you? I leave you with the wisdom of a pub poster :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home